With people dying every day of preventable diseases and malnutrition, it is critical that we donate to the most effective charities possible. The difference between charities is astounding. Some do 1,000 times as much good with their donations as others!
We strongly recommend donating to these charities. To the best of our knowledge, based on assessments of these charities, these are the most cost-effective charities in the world.
These charities deliver proven, high-impact, cost-effective interventions, and we are confident that they will continue to do so.
Against Malaria Foundation
The Against Malaria Foundation fights malaria by distributing Insecticide-Treated mosquito nets.
- Malaria killed 367-755 thousand people in 2013, most of them children, and there are about 200 million cases every year
- Insecticide-Treated Bednets are one of the most effective ways to prevent transmission of malaria and have averted about 450 million cases since 2000
- The Against Malaria Foundation can distribute bednets for between $5-7.50
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative provides technical assistance and funds for programmes that treat people for parasitic worms
- Schistosomiasis is a disease caused by parasitic worms
- The WHO estimates that at least 261 million people required preventive treatment for schistosomiasis in 2013, but only 40 million were treated
- The disease is widespread, but extremely cheap and easy to treat. SCI can distribute deworming tablets for around $2 / person / year
- SCI also treat other neglected tropical diseases like hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm
We are less certain of the impact of our promising charities, but we are still confident that they are among the best-performing charities in the world.
Deworm The World Initiative
Deworm the World Initiative provides technical assistance and funds for programmes that treat people for parasitic worms
- Intestinal worms like hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm are Neglected Tropical Diseases, which don't currently get the attention they deserve
- 875 million children require annual treatment
- The treatment is cheap and easy. By providing technical assistance to governments, Deworm The World can help deworm children for around 50 cents / person / year
Project Healthy Children
Project Healthy Children works with governments in developing countries to fortify staple foods such as flour, sugar, rice and oil with vitamins and minerals.
- The body needs micronutrients like vitamins, iodine, and iron to function. Micronutrient deficiencies can lead to various health problems and may lead to serious cognitive impairment.
- Millions of people are at risk of micronutrient deficiency worldwide
- By providing technical assistance to Governments in fortifying staple foods, Project Healthy Children helps to avert malnutrition and micronutrient deficiency for around 5 cents / person / year