- Published 28 Feb 2021
- Updated 1 Mar 2021
In this edition you can find our latest job opportunities, upcoming events, updates from our community, news about our top priority cause areas, and ways you can help advocate.
Before we get started, we'd love to know:
What motivates you to use a portion of your income to help others?
We're hiring a Developer/Technical Product Manager to help build, maintain and develop our website and pledge dashboard. Please apply if you want to use your software engineering skills to help people give more, and give more effectively.
Come along and meet other people who are committed effectively using their resources to make the world better:
- March 13, 5pm ET: GWWC Meetup (Americas/Oceania)
- March 14, 9:30am GMT: GWWC Meetup (Europe/Asia)
- March 20-21: Effective Altruism Global: Reconnect
- March 23, 5pm ET: Open Forum (Americas/Oceania)
- March 24, 5pm ET: Medicine + Effective Altruism: How can we do good, better?
- March 26-28: Effective Altruism Fellowship Weekend
If you have any questions or want to discuss your donation decisions, we recommend registering for an Open Forum event. See all our events.
Watch (and share) our new video about how to do the most good with your charitable donations. Thanks to member Simon Panrucker for making this!
- Member and professional tennis player Marcus Daniell's pledge to give 10% of winnings to effective charities was featured on the media.
- Member Nick Dudley wrote about his personal journey to help fight suffering – a very touching story.
- The Effective Altruism Forum now has a weekly email digest containing some of the best recent posts, as well as questions that need more answers.
- How do we best communicate effective altruism ideas? Aaron Boddy and Marius Hobbhahn both recently wrote some suggestions on this topic. We also recommend checking out our guide for talking about Giving What We Can.
- If you have a project you think will improve the world, and it seems like a good fit for one of the EA Funds, we encourage you to apply to EA Funds by 7 March (11:59pm PST).
- The second round of applications to Charity Entrepreneurship's 2021 Incubation Program will be held from 15 March to 15 April.
- Biden's reversing Trump's effort to speed up line speeds at chicken packing plants.
- PepsiCo, the third-largest food company in the world, is embracing meatless meat.
- Impossible Foods' plant-based meat just got closer to the price of regular meat.
- Lewis Bollard was on the 80,000 Hours podcast discussing big wins against factory farming and how they happened.
- FoodImpacts.org is an interactive tool that lets you calculate how much harm is caused by the consumption of different animal products.
- Smallpox used to kill millions of people every year. Here's how humans beat it.
- If you're in the UK: help to protect 0.7% of UK GNI as aid spending by using Point7Percent.org to find your MP and generate an email to send to them.
- GiveDirectly uses AI to guide cash transfers in pandemic-stricken areas.
- Charles Kenny shows why we should spend a higher fraction of global aid in the poorest countries.
- LSE Future of Humanity Summit is a series of online panel discussions on the most fundamental question about the humanity's future: our long-term survival.
- Fin Moorehouse has written an Introduction to Longtermism.
- "Why I find longtermism hard, and what keeps me motivated" by Michelle Hutchinson.
- "Superforecasting in a nutshell" by Luke Muehlhauser.
A great way to multiply your impact is to tell people about effective giving.
Here are just a few ways you can help advocate for effective giving:
- Share your effective giving story on your social media, our blog or elsewhere (e.g. a local newspaper, student magazine, professional journal, company newsletter etc).
- Send a friend a book – we suggest Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill.
- Invite people to our events
Not only can spreading these ideas and growing this community help us make progress on some of the world's most pressing problems (directly helping the beneficiaries of our donations), but it consistently enriches the lives of the givers too.
"For it is in giving that we receive." St. Francis of Assisi
- Review our giving recommendations.
- Report your donations with your pledge dashboard.
- Join other members in the Giving What We Can Community Facebook group.
- Find more ways to get involved with Giving What We Can and effective altruism.
- Discuss effective giving and effective altruism on the EA Forum.