This is the challenge:
100 burpees every day for one year
- Physically demanding challenges that also require discipline are striking and liked by many people
- The burpee is one of the most famous exercises in the world
- The more the challenge is viewed, the more the message linked to it will spread.
Here is the message: you can contribute to save a life.
Why this message?
- We are able to do it, but most of us do not know it
- We are usually unaware of how rich we are in this unequal world
Among the many charities that claim to save lives, not all of them are equally efficient - the ones that:
- Focus on neglected problems
- Focus on easily solvable causes
- Focus on optimising efficiency
are the ones that, with little money, can save a life directly
Research from GiveWell recommends 4 top charities for cost-effectively preventing death and illness:
- Saving a life from malaria (Against Malaria Foundation and Malaria Consortium)
- Saving a life from deadly blindness (Helen Keller Intl)
- Saving a life from easily treatable diseases (New Incentives)
Donating to GiveWell's Top Charities fund distributes your donation to their top charities, based on need and can prevent a child's death for roughly ~$5000USD/~$4600EUR.
Together, we can save lives!
"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates once said.
I have always thought that this world is unfair, and I have also wondered why this is the case. No definite answer has ever come to mind, but I realise that changing the world is difficult. I've made many attempts across my life, driving me to different kinds of efforts (from social fighting to sparking critical thinking), but all with the main purpose: to alleviate this unfairness.
After many probably mistaken tries, I took a pledge to donate to high-impact, life-saving charities, and that is where I now allocate my time and energy. I'm yet to find a better way to fulfil my life's purpose.
However, an idea came to me: what if saving lives through donations could reach many more people worldwide?
I then thought about how ideas become viral. Could I link the idea to some striking skill I could perform? Maybe yes, maybe no. But I definitely want to try.
Top Charities Fund
The Top Charities Fund supports the highest-priority funding needs among GiveWell’s top charities, which are evidence-backed, high-impact, and highly cost-effective opportunities to save and improve the lives of people living in low- and lower-middle-income countries.