What is Deworm the World Initiative's mission?
Deworm the World is a project of Evidence Action, whose mission is "to be a world leader in scaling evidence-based and cost-effective programs to reduce the burden of poverty."
What does Deworm the World Initiative do?
- DWI works with governments in low-income countries to deliver free, mass deworming programs in schools.
- They work in at-risk communities where at least 20% of children are infected by worms.
- The treatment is simple; DWI uses a safe and effective pill.
- DWI states that they've delivered more than one billion treatments since 2014, and that those treatments improved school attendance and long-term economic opportunities for children, in addition to improving health outcomes.
Why do we recommend Deworm the World Initiative?
- Deworming children has positive outcomes for each child's health, education, and future.
- DWI distributes its deworming treatments quite cost-effectively.
- DWI is a GiveWell top charity. GiveWell writes that DWI has "a strong track record and excellent cost-effectiveness," monitors its programs and impact, and has "standout transparency."
To learn more about Deworm the World Initiative, we recommend reading GiveWell’s detailed review.