What is SCI Foundation's mission?
The SCI Foundation's mission is to "prevent and treat neglected infectious diseases through strengthening impactful and comprehensive health programmes." They envision a world "free of preventable disease."
What does SCI Foundation do?
- SCI Foundation supports governments in sub-Saharan African countries in developing effective programs to reduce parasitic worm infections including schistosomiasis, hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm.
- SCI Foundation can provide treatments for about three people for just £1 GBP (or about $1.4 USD).
- SCI Foundation reaches approximately 50 million people each year, and has since 2016.
- SCI Foundation works to ensure the sustainability of their work by working with governments to strengthen existing systems and processes.
Why do we recommend SCI Foundation?
- SCI Foundation uses evidence to inform its decisions. They track the impact of their programs and they are transparent about their use of donations.
- SCI Foundation is recognised by GiveWell as a top charity.
- Due to its cost effectiveness, GiveWell considers deworming to be a priority program.
- Open Philanthropy offered SCI Foundation a $2.5 million grant for general support in 2019.
- GiveWell estimates that SCI Foundation could effectively use an additional $22.9 million beyond its expected budget in 2022–23.
To learn more about SCI Foundation, we recommend reading GiveWell's detailed review.