What is Against Malaria Foundation's mission?
AMF works to prevent malaria in low-income countries. Its three guiding principles are efficiency, transparency, and demonstrating impact.
What does Against Malaria Foundation do?
- AMF receives and reviews requests for mosquito nets from local ministries of health.
- It carries out pre-distribution surveys to establish the number of nets needed.
- It works with local health leaders to educate populations on all elements of malaria prevention, including the correct use of malaria nets.
- It purchases the nets and delivers them (through its distribution partners). It also provides independent supervisors to ensure that the nets are not misappropriated, and go to the people who need them.
- It continues to monitor local malaria rates, and carries out post-distribution surveys to monitor the use and condition of the nets.
- Depending on the outcomes of these surveys, it provides further malaria education and additional nets as needed.
- It publishes its pre- and post-distribution reports on its website (AMF links every donation you make to a particular distribution).
Why do we recommend Against Malaria Foundation?
- AMF's program has a strong track record of preventing malarial infections. It is also highly cost-effective, as its lean organisational structure, careful use of technology, and partnerships with local charities keep its costs exceptionally low.
- AMF's emphasis on preparation, distribution, and follow-up ensures that it realises its potential in combating malaria. Each bed net costs only around $2, and GiveWell estimates that for roughly every $3,300 donated, it's estimated that a death from malaria is prevented. For comparison, the U.K.'s National Health Service will spend up to £20,000 (over $30,000) for a single year of healthy life saved!
- AMF is also extremely transparent about its operations. By posting its pre- and post-distribution reports online, it allows the public to see how effective it is in each instance.
- AMF has been a GiveWell-recommended charity every year since 2012.
To learn more about Against Malaria Foundation, we recommend reading GiveWell's detailed report.