Tax-deductibility and maximising donations

United Kingdom

Giving What We Can is operated by Effective Ventures Foundation (UK), a charity in England and Wales (with registered charity number 1149828 and registered company number 07962181).

Donations with Giving What We Can in the UK are eligible for Gift Aid, tax-deductible for UK donors, and subject to UK tax laws.

Giving What We Can members can automatically track donations made with Giving What We Can to their pledge without needing to report them separately. Gift Aid will also be included in the donation amount when tracking towards the pledge.


Donating tax-effectively in the UK with Giving What We Can

In the UK, there are several methods to further increase the impact of your donations. By taking advantage of tax-effective giving options, you can ensure that more of your support goes towards high-impact programs. Please remember that the following is general advice, and we encourage you to seek personalised guidance from your accountant or contact HMRC directly for specific advice.

Gift Aid

When donating with Giving What We Can, you can boost your donation by 25% at no extra cost to you through Gift Aid. If you're a UK taxpayer, Gift Aid increases the value of your donations by allowing us to reclaim the basic rate of tax on your gift. The process is straightforward:

  1. Opt-in to claim Gift Aid when making a donation.
  2. Supply your details, which we'll use to claim Gift Aid.
  3. We reclaim the Gift Aid on your donation (in proportion to your original allocation).

If you pay tax above the basic rate, you can claim the difference back on your donation. This additional relief can be claimed on your Self-Assessment tax return or by asking HMRC to adjust your tax code.

Learn more from HMRC

Payroll Giving

Payroll Giving (a.k.a. “Workplace giving”) is a tax-efficient scheme that allows you to donate directly from your gross salary, resulting in a tax benefit for you and more funds for the causes you care about. Here's how you can participate:

  1. Check if your employer offers a Payroll Giving scheme.
  2. Register with your employer the amount, destination, and allocation to be deducted from your salary before tax.
  3. Your employer will deduct the allocated amount from your pre-tax salary and send it to us with the details of your allocation

Learn more from HMRC

Donating Assets

You can make a significant tax-efficient impact by donating assets, such as shares or property. This form of giving can provide you with Income Tax relief and may exempt you from Capital Gains Tax.

For detailed assistance on donating assets, our support team is ready to help you with the necessary steps.

Contact us Learn more from HMRC

Leaving a Bequest

Consider legacy giving by making a gift in your will to further the mission of Giving What We Can. A bequest can be a powerful way to provide long-term support for our programs and potentially offering tax advantages for your estate.

Register your bequest Learn more from HMRC