DMI's vision is "a world where people have the knowledge they need to improve their health and that of their families. We apply our mass media approach to the most pressing issues in global health."
- DMI uses evidence-based campaigns to maximise the impact of their work. They use mathematical modelling to determine which messages can save the most lives.
- DMI evaluates its impact using randomised controlled trials or quasi-experimental designs.
- They use storytelling techniques and dramatisations to engage their audience.
- DMI's current focus areas are: (i) reducing preventable deaths, (ii) improving early childhood development, and (iii) helping parents with family planning. They also work to promote a variety of other healthy behaviours.
- DMI uses an evidence-based approach and regularly evaluates the impact of its own work.
- GiveWell has identified DMI as a promising "standout charity."
- Open Philanthropy investigated DMI and offered them a$100,000 grant for general support.
To learn more about Development Media International, we recommend reading GiveWell's detailed review.