Giving What We Can is a community of effective givers. We inspire people to donate significantly and as effectively as possible.
Forming a community allows us to share information on how and where to give, help us stick to our commitment and stand together to create a culture of giving more, and more effectively.
A world in which giving 10% of our income to the most effective organisations is the norm
Inspire donations to the world’s most effective organisations
We believe that charitable donations can do an incredible amount of good. However, it all depends on the effectiveness of the charities which receive your donations. It turns out that the difference between charities is astounding: Some do 1,000 times as much good with a donation as others! It is therefore critical that we give our money to the most effective charities, so that it will have the greatest impact possible.
To that end, Giving What We Can recommends charities based on in-depth research comparing the effectiveness of different interventions.
We are a welcoming community, sharing our passion and energy to improve the lives of others.
- We have a deep commitment to helping others, and
- We are dedicated to helping other members of our community give more and better.
We take action based on evidence
- We are open-minded towards new approaches to altruism that may show greater effectiveness.
- We are honest when it comes to what we don't know or mistakes we have made.
We are optimistic
- We are ambitious in terms of the change we believe we can create.
- We apply energy and enthusiasm to support and build our community.