Giving What We Can
Giving What We Can: Oxford is the first local chapter of Giving What We Can in the UK. We are building a community of people interested in giving to the most efficient organizations combating poverty in the developing world.
About Giving What We Can (GWWC)
GWWC's message is that you can bring about huge amounts of good in the world with little cost to yourself. This is achievable because:
- Giving to the most cost-effective charities massively increases the power of your donations (for example, some aid charities' health programs are up to a staggering 10 000 times more cost-effective than many of those currently funded by the NHS)
- Donating a significant portion of your income is easier than most people think (think of it as being paid 10% less for doing your job… we live to our means!)
The organization was founded on 14th November 2009 by an Oxford philosopher, Toby Ord. Official members pledge to donate 10% of their income to those charities that they think are the most cost-effective at fighting poverty in the developing world. GWWC researches which charities these might be and publicises the findings. Currently, GWWC's top recommendations are Against Malaria Foundation, Schistosomiasis Control Initiative and Deworm the World.
Experts in development aid know that there is a huge disparity in how much different charities achieve and have a good idea of which interventions produce the most “value for money”. Unfortunately, there seems to be little good information aimed at individual donors about where to give, with most charity evaluators focussing on what turn out to be fairly irrelevant factors, such as percentage administration costs; GWWC, on the other hand, seeks to find those charities that actually achieve the most good for every pound donated to them.
To find out more about GWWC's ideas, research, members and local chapters, visit www.GivingWhatWeCan.org.
About Giving What We Can: Oxford (GWWC:Ox)
We support GWWC by:
- Raising awareness of its research as a valuable resource
- Normalising the idea of donating a significant proportion of one's income
- Acting as a social stimulant for people in Oxford who are interested in GWWC
- Contributing to the running of GWWC
- Assisting in the development of new chapters
GWWC:Ox was launched on 14th November 2010. Through activities and events based in Oxford, we encourage more people to make the most of this opportunity to do huge amounts of good. Our activities include political action, sharing ideas, research and administrative tasks for GWWC; our events include talks, discussions, socials and fundraisers (see the "Termcard" tab for more details). Although we currently happen to be focussed on the student community, we aim to be an informative and social hub for anyone in Oxford who is interested in GWWC.